Crown and Bridge
Here at the Maroubra dental centre our very experienced dentists pride themselves on the quality of our all our crown and bridge work. With our onsite ceramic laboratory every step of the crown and bridge procedure is designed to provide our patients with the best possible cosmetic and functional outcome.
Dental crowns are restorations that protect damaged, cracked or broken down teeth. A crown strengthens your existing damaged tooth so as to preserve its functionality. Dental crowns are also commonly known as caps because a crown sits over your existing tooth covering the entire outer surface analogous to how a cap would cover your head.
When are Crowns necessary?
- If your tooth has undergone significant decay and there is not enough tooth structure remaining to support a filling or an inlay and maintain functionality.
- If a large portion of your tooth has fractured and it cannot be built up using traditional restorative techniques.
- If you have a large cavity, a crown offers additional protection to your tooth over a large composite filling or an inlay.
- If you have had a dental implant to replace a missing tooth, a crown will be fitted to the abutment of the titanium implant.
- Following root canal treatment a crown is often needed to strengthen the tooth.
- If you grind your teeth and have a poor diet, acid erosion may reduce your teeth to a point where the only option available is to crown them.
- For cosmetic reasons to improve the aesthetics of your smile, you may opt for all porcelain cosmetic crowns.